Skip to content

Employer Funding

Find out more about funding support available to employers.

Apprentice with employers

Experts in finding available funding options

The team at Northern Skills are on hand to discuss any available funding options for your business and support you with eligibility criteria along with how to apply. Funding may be available to support the cost of your apprentice’s training and their salary.

Subject to up-to-date Government rules

For more information about apprenticeship government funding, please click here.

Please note – grants are subject to change with up to date Government rules. More guidance can be found here

Tees Valley Combined Authority Support Grant

An Apprenticeship Support Grant is available to SME’s identified by Tees Valley Combined Authority as being in one of the above Priority Sectors. The following funding is available:

  • Apprentices Aged 16-18 – Grant of £3,000 is available
  • Apprentices Aged 19+ – Grant of £2,000 is available       

For any employers who do not fall into one of the above Priority Sectors, the following Grant is available:

  • Apprentices Aged 19+ – Grant of £500 is available

Find out more about the TVCA Grant here

Tees Valley Business Compass Growth Fund

Access up to 33% funding for business growth projects.

Tees Valley Business Compass can provide you with tailored funding and support to help your business grow.

  • You can access funding for:
  • Developing marketing strategies
  • Getting your business online
  • Workforce training plans
  • Product and service development
  • Business process review
  • Plus many more!

Additional Funding

The Apprenticeship Levy

What employers need to know:

  • Apprenticeship standards designed by employers have now replaced frameworks.
  • Employers who take on apprentices and are not paying the levy (around 98% of employers) will contribute 5% of apprenticeship training costs with the Government funding the remaining 95%
  • Funding bands have been created for apprenticeship frameworks and the new apprenticeship standards; there are 15 bands in total
  • Depending on the apprenticeship type and level, the 5% contribution from employers will range from £150- £2700
  • Employers with less than 50 employees will be able to train 16-18 year old apprentices without paying any contribution towards training, the Government will pay 100% the training costs
  • As an employer, you can play a key role in the development of the new apprenticeship standards
  • The Apprenticeship Levy will be paid into an employer’s digital account just before the end of May each year for levy paid on their April payroll
  • Employers with an annual payroll over £3 million will pay 0.5% of their wage bill towards the levy
  • Levy paying employers will also receive £15,000 funding towards their apprenticeship training, in the form of a digital voucher
  • This voucher can be used to purchase training from recognised providers, to both new and existing staff with no set age limit

Read our guide to The Apprenticeship Levy here

Talk to us about your next step

Our friendly team are always happy to help! Get in touch with us to get your questions answered and to find out more about apprenticeships, or sign up to our monthly bulletin for the latest vacancies.