This qualification is aimed at those who undertake work to produce products from glass and related materials in the glass processing sector.
This covers the handling of products throughout the process. Units in this qualification cover cutting, shaping, assembling, and finishing the products, including decoration. It is not expected that glass processors all do the same activities: the qualification is structured to ensure that there is a high degree of flexibility in the qualification. The standard covers the most important aspects of the job. This qualification is at Level 3, although there may be units at different levels, and should be taken by those who are experienced Glass Processors, capable of dealing with a wide range of issues, including the identification and rectification of technical problems and working with a wide range of glass types.
Candidates may be required to show the skills and knowledge to assess products or work procedures and identify possible improvements, and may also be responsible for setting up Glass Processing machinery.
- Employment in a suitable role for the chosen apprenticeship is essential. Northern Skills Group will work with applicants to help find a suitable employer where possible but we advise anyone looking to undertake an apprenticeship to actively seek employment for themselves.
- Applicants are required to have gained a Level 2 English and maths (GCSE Grades 9-4 / A-C). Certificates will need to be produced at enrolment. If proof cannot be produced or you do not meet these entry requirements, then applicants will be invited to complete an initial assessment prior to acceptance. An interview will take place.
- If you do not have a grade 9 to 4 in English and / or maths (grade A-C for previous GCSE measures) you will be required to continue studying these subjects.
- This qualification is assessed through observations in the workplace, under pinning knowledge, product evidence and witness statements.
- AG2 Promote and Maintain Health and Safety in a Glass Related Working Environment
- FIS2 Improve the Work of the Organisation through the use of resources, Communications and Working Relationships in a Glass Related Working Environment
- AG13 Identify and rectify technical problems in a Glass or Glass Related working environment
- GP4 Prepare and operate machinery/tools in Glass