This qualification will allow apprentices undertaking a Civil Engineering Technical Apprenticeship to fulfil the requirements of the competence based component of the apprenticeship, with appropriate underpinning knowledge and professional attributes. It will also meet the requirements for Technician Membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers, subject to success at a subsequent professional review.
Potential job roles for those working towards the qualification, Civil Engineering Technician in a variety of settings with contractors, consultants, government agencies and local authorities
Learners would be able to progress to the Edexcel BTEC Higher National Certificate in Construction and the Edexcel BTEC Higher National Diploma in Construction.
Progression will also be possible to Foundation Degrees, BSc and BEng degrees in construction and civil engineering. Ultimately students can progress to MEng and MSc.
- Employment in a suitable role for the chosen apprenticeship is essential. Northern Skills Group will work with applicants to help find a suitable employer where possible but we advise anyone looking to undertake an apprenticeship to actively seek employment for themselves.
- Applicants are required to have gained a Level 2 English and Maths (GCSE Grades 9-4 / A-C). Certificates will need to be produced at enrolment. If proof cannot be produced or you do not meet these entry requirements, then applicants will be invited to complete an initial assessment prior to acceptance. An interview will take place.
- If you do not have a grade 9 to 4 in English and / or Maths (grade A-C for previous GCSE measures) you will be required to continue studying these subjects.
This qualification is assessed through...knowledge based units, professional discussions
Performance Based Units:
- Direct observation of performance in the workplace by a qualified assessor
- Testimony from an expert witness subject to the activity being assessed.
- Learner’s reflective account of performance.
- Work plans and work based products e.g. diagrams, drawings, specifications.
- Evidence from prior achievements that demonstrably match the requirements of the Performance Unit.
- Expert Witness testimony
- Techniques, procedures and methods for civil engineering tasks
- Develop and finalise civil engineering solutions
- Management and leadership in civil engineering
- Independent judgement and responsibility in civil engineering
- Commercial awareness in civil engineering
- Health, safety and welfare for civil engineers
- Sustainable development in civil engineering
- Interpersonal skills and communication in civil engineering
- Professional commitment for civil engineers